Thursday, February 25, 2010

An epic tantrum

Also yesterday was a terrible temper tantrum. I can count on both hands the number of times Henry has had them, so I am lucky. I still think they're sort of funny, actually.

Anyway, Miah was leaving for work, and Henry had an accident. I rushed him to the bathroom, which set him off because he wanted to wave at Miah. I rushed him back to the window, but that wasn't good enough and he just cried and cried.

Anyway, after Miah drove off, I brought him back into the bathroom and took his pants and undies and socks off. He *demanded* that I put them back on. "I want my potty pants on! I want my potty undies on! I want my potty socks back on!!" I told him we could put clean clothes on him, not dirty clothes.

He got so angry with me. He started throwing all three of the paper towel rolls we have in storage, and threw the vinegar bottle, too, that I was using to clean up the mess.

Then he also started throwing all his books around the house, too. The hallway looked like a disaster zone.

I ignored him most of the time and was washing up some dishes. He hit me on my bottom a few times, and when I told him that he'd get a time out if he did it one more time, he did it anyway. So to the timeout he went, where it was 2 minutes of me standing over him and putting him back in the corner. Oy vey! And all of this with a bare bottom! He had still refused to put his underwear or pants back on.

Finally, after about 15 minutes, he responded positively to me asking him if he wanted to snuggle. He was so tired. I took him into his bedroom and rocked him with Lovey, Soft Blue Blanket, and Green Blanket. He was so sad! All gaspy and shuddery and clingy. I kissed and hugged and rocked and cuddled him for about another 15 minutes, and he felt good enough to get his diaper on so we could take a nap.

How I'm going to manage these when Charlie comes, I don't know!

No comments:

Post a Comment